As a general rule, you have a secure Scottish lease when you rent your home to the Council, a housing company or a housing co-op in Scotland. You can update the name of your lease by filling out this form. You are required to enter and present identification to ensure that no one changes your lease in an unauthorized manner. An introductory tenancy agreement may be offered to new Council tenants. These usually last 12 months and are like a “sample” period. If you have recently lost someone near you, it is important that you register death within five days. For more information, see How to record a death. If you are a tenant of the council, you must also inform your housing agent and the housing benefit team. If you add an inmate to a rental agreement, you will want to check that client first. The last thing you want is a new tenant who will get you and current tenants in trouble. Learn more about the customer screening process by reading our guide.

You can ask us to add another person to your lease if: you have to explain their reasons if they decide not to renew your lease and give you the opportunity to challenge the decision. The tenants are jointly responsible for the rent on the property. If you are a couple, you should receive joint benefits. If you are not in a couple, you must have your own claims, but the help you get towards the rent will be exclusively based on your part of the rental. Sometimes it is not possible for a person to get help with rents if they become a co-tenant, if they have previously lived as an independent in the household. Ask for advice before adding someone who has lived in your household as an independent tenant to your rental agreement. If only one of you wants to terminate the lease and the other tenant wishes to remain in the property, your advice: update your name on a lease agreement, give your lease to someone else, inherit a lease agreement or add another person to your lease. She and the other co-tenants are also responsible for complying with all the terms of the tenancy agreement – which is declared jointly liable.

For example: As a flexible tenant, you have a lease for a fixed period. This is usually for at least 5 years, although in some cases it can be between 2 and 5 years. In order for us to see if you can get the rental contract, you need to do some paperwork with us. Please contact your accommodation agent who will meet you to guide you through. If you are not a tenant or the deceased tenant`s husband, wife or partner and the house is too large for your needs, you must move to a smaller property.